Allow me to apologize in advance (you’ll soon see why) and assure you that, although things in Haiti seemed to be heating up a day or two ago, they’ve just as quickly calmed back down, as Aristide’s arrival has been delayed until housing and security can be arranged—several days, maybe even weeks.
So during this brief lull in exiled-former-presidents-coming-home to Haiti, I’ll finally and officially accept the Memetastic Award Clouded Marble
cursed honored me with last week.
This long-anticipated acceptance requires several things of me:
1. Displaying the “disgusting graphic” (words of the award creator Jillsmo, not mine) of the award itself—a Meme Kitty dancing among balloons and shooting stars, gleeful and glorious in award winning form.
2. Posting 5 “facts” about myself—4 of which must be bold-faced lies. (This will be the fun part.)
3. Passing the award along to 5 other bloggers, who will, in turn, do the same. (This is where the apologies come into play.)
4. Linking this post back to the “Memetastic Hop,” so award creator Jillsmo can track its path through the blogosphere. (Supposedly failing to do any of the above will cause Jillsmo to haunt and taunt me through the rest of what, I’m sure will be, a short-lived blogging career.)
So, here are some fun-filled “facts” about me. (You pick out the one that is true.)
- Sara and Kathy met on a train from Istanbul to Ankara.
- Kathy taught English at Oral Roberts University for 6 years, before leaving to teach writing to inner-city St. Louis teens in trouble.
- During the 1980s, one of Kathy’s sisters served in the Peace Corps in Sri Lanka, where she still lives with her Delhi-born husband and 2 sons.
- Someone in Kathy’s immediate family won’t allow Kathy to mention him or her in this blog and has asked her to write as if he or she does not exist.
- Kathy’s father was a preacher from Ft. Lauderdale.
(Let me warn you, this list is tricky. The fact must be entirely true to count.)
Finally, I must part with my prize and pass it along to other entirely-worthy-of-bigger-honors-than-this bloggers I read regularly.
(Audience cheers expectantly, while best-of-the-best bloggers cower in corners, pens poised to attack if they are indeed identified.)
And the winners are (apologies all around):
- Lisa at “Notes from Africa.” Lisa’s blog was freshly pressed several weeks ago. She writes about the science she observes all around her in South Africa. Brilliant blog. Amazing photos. You must read.
- Mrs. H. at “A.Hab’s View of the World.” (Sorry, my friend, I adore your blog and want others to read, as well.) Mrs. H. writes, sometimes amusingly, but always passionately, about her ambivalence for academia. She is currently teaching World Lit at the university where she is finishing a Ph.D. in English.
- Tori at “The Ramblings.” What can I say? Tori is a 23-year-old mother of one from Tennessee, who is, in fact, one of the best writers I have ever read. As I told Sara the other day, Tori writes like Anne Lamott, but “out-Lamotts” Lamott herself. Tori is wickedly funny and was once freshly pressed twice in one week!
- Deanna at “A Mother’s Tonic.” Deanna is a Canadian blogger who writes poignantly about both the challenges and joys of motherhood. She makes me think, she makes me smile, she makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. I think you will love her too.
- Terri at “Into the Mystic.” Terri is a wife and mother, a bowling fanatic, and kidney donor, who writes about “dragging [her] feet toward empty-nest-hood.” Terri was also freshly pressed a while back. I know you’ll enjoy her wit and insight. She’s sure to make you laugh.
So there you have it folks. I believe I’ve fulfilled my obligations according to Memetastic Award protocol.
May award creator Jillsmo hunt me down and menace me for life if I have failed in these Memetastic duties. I am indeed a believer in the cause.
Thanks, again to Clouded Marble, for this great “gift.” As I’ve said before, please read her blog, despite her poor judgement in passing this prize to me.
Long live the “Meme Kitty” !!!!
I will blog—forever—
A proud winner of the Memetastic Award!!!!
(Applause continue, even as this pronouncement is posted and Meme Kitty exits stage left————-)